[mythtv-users] lower requirements for a 720 TV?

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Mon Oct 22 17:27:59 UTC 2012

Does the fact that my TV is 720p reduce my CPU/video requirements, or
does that depend more on the source material?  Some of the  OTA is 1080
(i, I assume).  OTA is via HDHomeRun in the US.

My main concern actually is Hulu.  I was thinking of getting a Zotac ion
box, but I've seen a number of reports that it's not really up to
dealing with Hulu, since flash has to use the CPU.

A related question: since the TV doesn't have 1080, is there a way to
record or transcode at the reduced resolution?  That could be  done on
the backend, so the frontend doesn't have to have the power to do it.
My main interest is reducing disk useage, though if the 720 recordings
load the frontend less that would be a bonus.

I just got the TV (Samsung plasma 43") so I can now hook FE up to it.

Thanks.
Ross