[mythtv-users] Default Mythtv Version

Scott Knight scott at scottknight.com
Mon Oct 22 17:20:53 UTC 2012

on 10/22/2012 12:27 PM Larry Roberts carved the following into a picnic
table:
> On 10/22/2012 10:52 AM, Scott Knight wrote:
> > on 10/22/2012 10:22 AM Larry Roberts carved the following into a
> > picnic table:
> >> Is there an easy way I'm not thinking of to see what the version of
> >> mythtv that will be installed?
> > Depending on your version of yum (I don't have access to any
> > RHEL/CentOS 5 machines to test with), you can use --releasever and
> > --showduplicates to query the repository with list.  I would imagine
> > something like this would be a good start:
> > yum --releasever=6.3 --showduplicates list mythtv
> unfortunately --releasever isn't an option for my version of yum...
Bummer, that is pretty useful way to check other repositories.  You
might be able to trick yum by temporarily editing /etc/redhat-release to
look like CentOS 6.3 and then just doing a 'yum list mythtv' or 'yum
--showduplicates list mythtv' to see what it thinks is available.  FWIW,
here is what my RHEL 6.3 systems contain:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago)

Just quickly browsing http://dl.atrpms.net/el6.3-x86_64/atrpms/stable/ I
ONLY see these:
mythtv-0.24.2-281.el6.x86_64.rpm
<http://dl.atrpms.net/el6.3-x86_64/atrpms/stable/mythtv-0.24.2-281.el6.x86_64.rpm>
mythtv-0.24.3-282.el6.x86_64.rpm
<http://dl.atrpms.net/el6.3-x86_64/atrpms/stable/mythtv-0.24.3-282.el6.x86_64.rpm>
mythtv-0.24.3-283.el6.x86_64.rpm
<http://dl.atrpms.net/el6.3-x86_64/atrpms/stable/mythtv-0.24.3-283.el6.x86_64.rpm>

> >> Perhaps another way of asking the question would be how would you do an
> >> upgrade from one server to another, while upgrading OS versions and
> >> trying to maintain all your myth DB information?
> > Easiest/safest way is to be able to upgrade the OS while keeping
> > MythTV and MySQL versions the same and then upgrade those after
> > verifying that everything works as expected on the new OS.
> So your saying install the new machine, but install the older versions
> of mythtv?  This is a new install and unfortunately an in place upgrade
> from 5.8 doesn't appear to be supported, or at least thats my
> understanding of what I have read.
You can always attempt to do that.  I had to do it when I built a Fedora
17 machine before the RPMs had been built.  Fedora 16 RPMs ran just fine
fo a month or more.  No guarantee with major versions of RHEL since so
many of the underpinnings have been changed.  I remember having to jack
around with getting all of the dependencies installed since yum
--releasever=16 install mythtv failed to bring them all in.  The good
news is the version of yum shipped with RHEL6 does support --releasever.

However, this isn't what I meant.  What I meant is that it's always
safest to build out the new OS to run the same VERSIONS of mythtv and
mysql as the old system...provided the binaries are available. It
appears you are in luck with MythTV based on the repo data I pasted
above.  MySQL is going to be more of an upgrade since I see 5.0.95 in
the CentOS 5.8 repository and 5.1.61 in the CentOS 6.3 repository.  You
might want to take a look at MySQL release notes to see if you need to
do anything to prepare the database for the newer version.

Only after I had that all ironed out would I consider upgrading MythTV
to 0.25+

Scott