[mythtv-users] mythlink and NFS mounts

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Mon Oct 22 15:47:59 UTC 2012

In preparing to upgrade my system and to make things easier for future
upgrades I have moved my videos to an NFS mount.

After doing this mythlink.pl running on the backend creates links that
are perfectly valid for the backend, but unfortunately no longer valid
for a remote windows system that is mounting an SMB share of the
directly the symlinks are created in.  When the videos were local it
worked great.

so I have:

\mythtvstorage        -> Actual Video Files
\mythtvnice              -> Mythlink "nice" format file names. Shared
via samba.

When \mythtvstorage was a local disk it worked great, now with it being
an NFS mount the links dont work when accessed remotely.

ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Oct 22 10:39 XR 1200 Series- Indianapolis_-8-
-19.mpg -> /mythtvstorage/1027_20120819180000.mpg

df -h
nss324:/mythstorage   5.4T  2.2T  3.2T  41% /mythtvstorage

The end goal is to have "nice" format names for my videos that are
accessible via a smb share.  I need this as the program running on a
windows box (Air Video) will do a live conversion and stream them to an
iPad.

Thoughts on ways to accomplish this?  I must admit I'm a bit puzzled now
at how the symbolic links worked beforehand as I wasn't sharing the
local directory that held the videos before, only the directory that
holds the output of mythlink.  It just worked so I didn't think much
about it.

Thanks

Larry