[mythtv-users] DVB HD tuners under linux?

Dave Sexton list-mythtv-users at jack.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 12:52:45 UTC 2012

Hi Richard,

On Monday 22 October 2012 12:42:04 Richard Morton wrote:
> To receive free view HD in the uk you require a dvb-t2 card. The only one I
> am aware of that is supported is the pctv/pinnacle 290e. I have one of
> these and it prior to ubuntu 1204 it required you to compile some bits. Now
> it just works although it does freeze up occasionally requiring a reboot.

I recall a couple of years ago that the BBC wanted to encrypt broadcats. They
are not allowed to encrypt the actual programming but OFCOM was somehow
paysuaded to allow them to encrypt critical parts of the signal (I think it
was the EIT) that allowed them to enforce their hollywood paymasters' desires
to restrict usefulness of the signal yet still remain within the letter of the
law.

I had assumed that this would make FreeviewHD unusable within Myth, I'm hoping
my assumption is wrong! Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Dave