[mythtv-users] Ignoring certain channels from certain inputs

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 09:49:58 UTC 2012

On 21/10/12 12:08, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> Thanks all for your informative responses. My TV is a Panasonic and has
> always tuned itself perfectly wherever I've lived.

(snip)

> What are transports? How do I know which transports match my good
> transmitter? Where do I go to select the transports once I've found out? Why
> do I even need to know all this when Panasonic can make a TV that does it all
> for me?

(snip)

I think you might be over-confident in your assumption of what your Panasonic TV
is actually doing. If it is doing anything like our Hitachi TV, it is just
scanning from the lowest channel upwards and assigning channels (within
transports*) on a first-come first-served basis possibly just overwriting older
data with later data.

I, too get signals from three different transmitters, and all three are in
different BBC/ITV regions. I have to do almost as much work with the TV as I do
with my myth system in order to receive the correct local news.

If I hadn't gained experience doing this for mythtv I probably would never have
realised what the TV was doing, and just put up with the wrong local programming.

* Transports are also known as multiplexes. Those in the US confuse things for
us over here by calling a multiplex a channel and a channel a sub-channel :)

--

Mike Perkins