[mythtv-users] CEC- Has anyone configured this to Power off the Frontend using the TV's remote?

Wayne Thomas waynethomas69 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 06:43:13 UTC 2012

I wrote serialserver-for-linux to turn my tv and stereo on and off using
rs-232 a few years ago; has been made slightly redundant by CEC support but
I can do everything already just using scripts triggered by lirc (and
irexec) and by certain cron jobs.  Unfortunately only a few manufacturers
have serial ports so it only supports LG and Sharp TVs as well as Denon and
Marantz amplifiers.
As such, it is my frontend that controls the TV through its remote (not the
other way round) and it can suspend itself once it has shut the TV and
stereo off.  With a wake on USB capable remote the same remote can turn the
frontend back on and the frontend then turns the TV (etc.) back on using
the pm-suspend hooks.

I also use PLCBUS modules that control my lights (and some appliances) with
plcbus-daemon-for-linux; as such when I push power on my remote the TV and
Amp turn off, and if it is late enough, my living room lights dim down till
they are off.  Totally unnecessary, but it still makes me smile.

Cheers
Wayne