[mythtv-users] Do not turn off TV when exiting MythTV (no CEC)

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Mon Oct 22 03:53:40 UTC 2012

Bonjour Charles!
(Hi Charles!)

On 10/19/2012 1:11 PM, Charles Tardif wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
> I don't know what you mean when you write "Build MythTV without CEC
> support". I'm sorry, compiling or building from source is unknown
> territory for me (If that's what you mean).  I have installd MythTV from
> the Ubuntu Repos.

That is what he meant, that's unfortunately currently the only
recommended way of removing support for that device...

> I thought that CEC events were configurable because I have read in the
> code changes description that it was.  See this link:

They are (configurable) and they are not at the same time...

> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/e090e9969c87136d4f6793988107a62ef249fe78/mythtv

The answer is actually in that commit message...

Settings were added to control power on and power off (and a few other
things as well) but no UI was made to change them so they are all using
default values.

> I assumed that there was no GUI to change the option because the feature
> is too young,

Yes and no... The dev who worked on this was hoping the settings pages
would be converted to (lib)MythUI (which is the way settings pages
should be done now) instead of the old way of doing them in time for
release. He had planned to do them the old way as a last resort if they
weren't converted in time but unfortunately he decided to leave the
project before he had time to do it...

> but was hoping that there was a config file we could
> change somewhere.

Those settings are stored in the database (and I could be wrong but I am
pretty sure they don't currently actually exist so they would have to be
added) so the only way to change them would be to insert new entries in
the settings database (which is something we (devs) do not recommend
doing...). The entries needed would have to be added on a per-frontend
basis...

> P.S. There are so many setups possible with MythTV. Adding CEC support
> with non-configurable events is clearly not ready to be released IMHO!

Sometimes we have to release a version with a feature that's not
entirely complete but that wasn't what was supposed to happen this time...

> But it cool that we know it's being worked on. Keep up the good work!

If no other dev decides to work on this I'll see what I can do... That's
not something I normally work on but I am pretty sure I wouldn't have
too much difficulty making those settings configurable.

Heck, my TV was actually CEC compatible I would have tried updating the
API we use to the latest version (I have the device but my current TV is
not CEC compatible...).

Bonne journée!
(Have a nice day!)

Nicolas