[mythtv-users] Do multiple sources need multiple .xmltv files?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sun Oct 21 20:44:27 UTC 2012

On 21.10.2012 19:00, Martin Moores wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just installed a new tuner card.  So now I have a dual Freeview
> SD card and a dual Freeview HD card.  I set them up in the backend
> (removing all tuners first), inserting the HD one first, so it is used
> over the SD one.

from 0.25 on you can configure the order directly, see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25#Scheduler

> I setup 2 sources, set them both to use the Radio Times UK xmltv
> grabber and connected the tuners accordingly.

sounds good

> I then gave mythupchuk a try, nice script, will make things easier
> when re-tuning in the future.
>
> Then, I renamed the callsigns for the HD channels to match the SD
> ones, which I think is the correct thing to do, so myth sees them as
> the same channel, as they do show identical programmes.
>
> Lastly, I updated my /home/user/.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv file, by running:
>
> tv_grab_uk_rt --configure
>
> and copying the file over accordingly, I made 2 copies of this file,
> to match the 2 sources I have setup, which I am not sure if this is
> correct.  I think it is, because before I created it, everything
> recorded in HD was also being recorded on the timeshifted SD channels,
> because the descriptions were different, that seems to have gone since
> I re-ran mythfilldatabase with two xmltv files.

If you are using the generated time shifted data you'll have perfectly
matching data. (contains TSOD in the xmltv id, see
http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xmltv/xmltv/grab/uk_rt/channel_ids?revision=1.250&view=markup#l186
)

> But looking in the mythfilldatabase output, something is wrong with
> the xmltv IDs:
>
> 2012-10-21 16:44:44.950602 I  Updating source #1 (Freeview) with
> 2012-10-21 16:44:45.756044 I  XMLTV config file is:
> /home/user/.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv
> 2012-10-21 16:52:46.681367 N  Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
> freeview.hd.channel4.com - Skipping channel.
> 2012-10-21 16:52:47.575037 N  Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
> hd.bbc.co.uk - Skipping channel.
> 2012-10-21 16:52:47.575351 N  Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
> hd.bbc1.bbc.co.uk - Skipping channel.

You have configured channels in your xmltv configuration that are not
referenced in the video source. e.g. no HD channels on the SD source.

> 2012-10-21 16:52:55.232050 I  Updating source #2 (FreeviewHD) with
> grabber tv_grab_uk_rt
> 2012-10-21 17:00:05.791224 N  Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
> freeview.aljazeera.net - Skipping channel.
> 2012-10-21 17:00:05.791508 N  Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
> freeview.communitychannel.org - Skipping channel.

the same issue as above, but no simple example to give :)

> I have checked the xmltvids in mythweb and in my .xmltv file and they
> all seem to match up, so not sure what the issue is.  It is causing
> issues with the data, upcoming recordings showing on one of the HD
> tuners, does not have the HD tag on it

I think I've seen such things when you fold SD and HD into one channel.
You'll see one of the EPG entries, not necessarily the one that is
being recorded. I simply stopped folding SD and HD into one channel :)

> Am I doing things right for a 2 tuner setup such as this?

yes, it is correct to use two seperate video sources for two different
sets of channels that the input can receive.

Regards,
Karl