[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues (mythffmpeg and getcutlist) with MythArchive 0.26

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Oct 21 20:30:37 UTC 2012

On 21/10/12 18:39, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 21/10/12 17:52, Will Dormann wrote:
>> After running MythTV 0.24 for a while, I've finally decided to take the
>> plunge and upgrade Mythbuntu and MythTV to the latest version.  I'm
>> currently running: 2:0.26.0+fixes.20121020.
>>
>> About 2 years ago I made a patch to mythburn.py to 1) manually re-encode
>> hd-pvr recordings to be DVD compatible 2) extract the cutlist to remove
>> commercials etc. from that transcoded file before burning.
>>
>> With the latest version of MythArchive, I'm seeing two issues:
>>
>> 1) mythffmpeg just returns an exit code of 1 without giving any error or
>> other indication of something being wrong.  My initial solution was to
>> just replace "mythffmpeg" with "ffmpeg" in mythburn.py.   This
>> successfully burned an HD-PVR recording to DVD!   Further investigation
>> of the problem narrowed it down to the "-target dvd" parameter to
>> mythffmpeg.   There's no status updates written to the terminal, but it
>> does indeed encode.    Why would "-target dvd" cause mythffmpeg to fail?
>>    The test commandline I'm using is:
>>
>> mythffmpeg -threads 4 -v 1 -i
>> "/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/2339_20121021154630.mpg" -r ntsc -target dvd -b
>> 9000k -s 720x480 -acodec ac3 -ab 192k -ac 2 -copyts -aspect 16:9 -pass 1
>> -passlogfile "/var/lib/mytharchive/temp/work/pass" "/tmp/mythffmpeg.mpg"
>> -map 0:0 -map 0:1
>>

>> 2) Despite setting MythArchive to use the cutlist, the output DVD
>> doesn't use the cutlist.   Perhaps MythArchive hasn't caught up to my
>> old 0.24 patch yet, or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
>>
>> My old patch used: mythcommflag --very-quiet --getcutlist -f <filename>
>> to get the cutlist and then hand that off to mythtranscode to remove the
>> unwanted parts of the video.
>>
>> However, it seems that as of 0.25, mythcommflag doesn't support
>> --getcutlist anymore, and that mythutil should be used instead.
>> However, mythutil doesn't seem to support the ability to work specifying
>> only a file name, as opposed to a channel ID and start time.
>>
>> Looking into the 0.26 mythburn.py, it looks like there's some code in
>> getFileInformation() that I can use to get the cutlist based solely on
>> the file name.   However just to make sure, am I correct that mythutil
>> (or any other script) can't get the cutlist directly by specifying a
>> file name?
>>

>> Thanks!
>> -WD
>
> Hi Will:  I posted the ffmpeg line that I saw in mytharchive for dvb-t2
> to dvd transcoding a few days ago.  That's with 0.25.2.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/530862#530862
>
> It worked - slowly - but I always cut before I get to Mytharchive,  For
> HD I use
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythpycutter
>
> It's a bit basic but it's quick and has worked for me.

I think I should add two things here:

Your test command line has -b 9000k. Have you burned the result to a
real DVD?  I think that's outside spec, although maybe ok for an
upmarket player.

My script was written before mysql.txt was dropped.  The DB access
parameters should be got from config.xml now.  Easiest workaround is to
edit them in, I think.   Mythcommflag now updates file size.  And Ticket
#11188 has just appeared about 0.26 cutlist failure but gives no details
of source format - or previous user experience.  Both are important!

John P