[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:54:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM, tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On 18/10/2012 6:59 a.m., Jay Ashworth wrote:

It's pretty clear from a bit of googling that the software to do h264
encoding on the RPi is not particularly mature or stable, but the
posts are also pretty confusing because many people are trying to
encode from webcams, as opposed to a stream already encoded as
something else.

I don't think your USB idea is a runner, the RPi is a USB host AFAIK.
A network socket accepting decoded YUV frames would be better I would
have thought, but the bandwidth would be quite high.

Or are you thinking of decoding AND encoding on the RPi?

But really, where is all this going? If you want to do mass
transcoding of every dang file on your system, you are doing something
wrong. Also what is the point of using one RPi to encode to h.264, and
then another to render it on your screen? Far better IMHO to leverage
a well powered backend and the maturing Services API of mythtv.

In short, if you want to use RPi, (1) if your broadcast TV is h264, it
should work (2) if your broadcast TV is mpeg2, it should work with the
addition of a GBP2.40 codec license. (3) if you have xvid material it
is probably SD and the RPi will probably decode it in cpu.