[mythtv-users] 1080i to 1080p Deinterlacing on Backend was Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 17 14:23:36 UTC 2012

On 10/16/2012 11:34 PM, Scott Knight wrote:
> on 10/16/2012 11:00 PM Michael T. Dean carved the following into a
> picnic table:
>> And, yes, a system that's transcoding everything to H.264 (versus
>> storing it in its native recording format) does make for an extremely
>> power hungry system.
>>
> You have just touched on something I have looked at a few times and
> never successfully figured out.  I already have a powerful backend
> (Xeon E3) with power to spare because it does other things like
> hosting VMs for building MythTV, cloud testing, etc.  It can commflag
> at 1200+ fps on 1080i content.  What I have noticed is that 1080i
> content looks pretty crappy no matter which deinterlacer I use on the
> frontends (mixture of ION, ION2, 9400, GT430 all running VDPAU).  720p
> content looks better and Blu-Ray looks stunning without even making
> the frontends break a sweat.
>
> Is there a way to take my 1080i recordings and just deinterlace them
> on the backend?  I don't care about transcoding out the commercials,
> don't care what format they end up in, don't care about disk space, as
> long as I can use whatever deinterlace algorithm looks best to my eyes
> when it's played.  Maybe I don't understand the limitations of 1080i
> deinterlacing, but it seems that with a good enough transcode, the end
> result should be somewhere between 720p and Blu-Ray.

This would only be better than deinterlacing on playback if it allowed
you to use a better-quality deinterlacer while transcoding.  However,
you're unlikely to find a deinterlacer better than the ones VDPAU
provides.  So, it's likely that there's some other problem (perhaps even
that your system isn't using the deinterlacer you think).

Mike