[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 20:05:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have any of you used xbmc on a r-pi?
> > All the people I know that bought them for this purpose gave up on them
> not
> > because it can't playback the video but because the UI was tortuous to
> > navigate. Before asking people to write complex code I suggest a few
> people
> > give it a try with a large database of media and report back....
>
> IMHO this is incorrect, it can be a little slow around the menus but
> video plays fine, including h264, SD xvid using the CPU. Haven't tried
> mpeg2 as I don't really have much of that.

WIth the latest http://xbian.org/ 8.2 distro release, the xbmc menus and UI
are smooth now.  It is significantly better than the prior versions
and definitely usable.  Video playback has always been smooth.  I bought
the mpeg2 license and use upnp to access the media on mythbackend to play
videos recorded from a HDHR prime.