[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 12:06:17 UTC 2012

tortise wrote:

>Of course running a R'pi compared with most other FE options saves
>significantly more power.  Running a few frontends quickly adds up
>the benefit.

Indeed

>I also understand a backend can be configured to power on and off as required.

If you are prepared for the downsides to that.

>The benefits of the R'pi are not limited to power saving, as size,
>CEC and quietness also come to mind.

Indeed, those are good advantages. I have quite a large desktop
(media centre) PC under my TV which happens to be OK for me as it
fits on the cabinet that the old CRT sat on before I upgraded to a
newer set. Without that cabinet, I'd be finding the current frontend
a bit on the large side. The upside is that my frontend was cheap
(second hand and scavenged bits).

>I am not especially lobbying for this to happen, but rather simply
>being interested in some comment about this approach as it seems one
>that has not enjoyed much consideration and for some hardware
>scenarios may well have merit as an approach, so far it does not
>seem to be excluded as a viable approach.  It may be, but I do not
>know, readily implemented within existing mythtv options however
>this side of myth I do not know at all well.

I'm sure there are people looking at it - not necessarily MythTV devs
as video is of interest to others as well. As someone else has
already pointed out, decoding the video is only one piece of the
jigsaw - it'll need a few others as well, though decoding the video
is perhaps by far the most critical bit.

--
Simon Hobson