[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 09:53:22 UTC 2012

tortise wrote:
>If the R'Pi does H264 well, how hard would it be
>to convert content such as mpeg2 et al to H264
>on the backends, and serve it all freshly
>converted up to run on R'Pi frontends?
>Especially now with the mega Intel CPU
>processing power now available?

If you are going to do that, why bother with a
low power frontend (that's not powered up most of
the time) as you'll be putting in a powerful
backend that will need to be on all the time ? My
backend can't do real-time transcoding anyway -
when doing an H264 transcode for iPad it takes
about 5-6 hours per hour of program for UK
Freeview (DVB-T) SD recordings. But then it only
takes 50W total, and effectively only cost me
£140* plus the tuners (£20 or less off eBay) and
drives (some of which I already had).

HP Microserver, £240 with £100 cashback offer that seems to never expire !
http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421
I see they are now £250 but still with £100
cashback. Mine is the earlier N36L version.

And as pointed out, you can buy an MPEG2 decoder licence for a pittance anyway.

I believe H264 and MPEG2 will account for the
majority of media. But I can see your point where
other formats are involved - isn't that (in part)
what the HLS facility is about ?

--
Simon Hobson