[mythtv-users] dlna dmr frontend replacement.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 16 00:19:10 UTC 2012

On 10/15/2012 05:54 PM, HP-mini wrote:
> Has this idea been discussed here before ?
>
> The idea is to not have a separate frontend PC attached to TV but to use
> a network connected combined BE/FE&  use dlna push rendering of the
> mythtv GUI to DMR devices.
>
> A smart phone or tablet (or long range remote IR/wireless keyboard etc)
> is used to control. (BubbleUPnP for example)
> The video compression/streaming of the mostly static GUI should not be
> to taxing.
>
> The audio content could be streamed directly to AVR/HT-amp DMR.
>
> Benefits:
> - no low power marginal FE boxes needed.
> - one remote noisy server box.
> - no good video card needed.
> - integrates with gadget ecosystem.
>
> Downside:
> - need lots of new shiny gadgets. (is this a downside?)
> - rely on TV to do scaling/de-interlacing.
> - might need to do transcoding for the DMR.

If you're doing video and audio push, too--and not just the GUI--you'll
probably have tons of CODEC issues (i.e. your Samsung phone is happy to
do Ogg, but your Samsung TV refuses, so DLNA doesn't let you play those
files through your TV--and possibly similar issues with the
very-common-in-MythTV-recordings MPEG-2).  And, it seems that DLNA will
never be user friendly, and will always require way too much technical
expertise.

Another option is to check out:

Miracast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast ("open" (not buy-in)
standard to replace AirPlay)
Wi-Fi Direct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct (underlying
transport for Miracast)
DASH: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Adaptive_Streaming_over_HTTP
(standardized replacement for HLS)

It seems to me that DLNA is something that promises much, but delivers
little (due to the lack of good implementations (or differences in
existing implementations)/lack of enforcement of "must support X CODEC,"
etc.)--not to mention the "club members only" approach to the standard,
enforced by the cost of getting the specs so you can implement it.

Mike