[mythtv-users] wish: Channel groups for scheduling

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 15 18:11:20 UTC 2012

On 10/15/2012 01:48 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 15/10/12 17:28, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 10/15/2012 02:19 AM, Lee Donaghy wrote:
>>> The problem i got with selecting any channel was with repeat
>>> channels like
>>> Dave (UK channel) having a mix of old programing from other channels.
>>
>> And you're saying that duplicate matching doesn't work across those
>> channels--because the channels have different subtitle/description
>> information
>> (or because EIT is sticking extra, non-subtitle data into subtitle or
>> something)?
>>
> On Dave and similar channels which are basically reshuffled repeats
> the subtitle and description may vary from that used when it
> originally aired - or be missing entirely. I have to be careful myself
> when scheduling some series on BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5 since in the other
> channels the 'rerun' descriptor is often missing from the end of the
> description and I get loads of matches.

Ah, yeah, then with "per-channel" guide data, duplicate matching won't
work across channels.  Currently, the only way to control on which
channel recordings occur is with "this channel" recording rules or using
power recording rules.  "This channel" means channels with the same
callsign, but the same callsign implies "substantially identical"
content is aired on the channels (i.e. the channels air the same content
at the same time nearly--or, better, just plain--always).  Power
recording rules allow you to control a list of channels (ideally using
Channel Groups), but are more challenging to create.

The main reason we leave a lot of "special" qualifications to Power
Rules is to prevent our "simple" schedule editor from becoming too
complex.  It's currently so complex with only the existing options that
many users have to create the schedules for family members, who don't
understand the details.  :(  So, adding new options to the simple editor
is not ideal.

That said, I have an idea that may allow us to make some changes that
make things easier for you.  I'll have to figure out the details of the
idea, then talk with David Engel to see what he thinks of the plan.

So, in the meantime, that leaves the option of either "teaching" MythTV
(with never records) not to record episodes that air on the other
channels (which is an ongoing effort as long as new episodes are
released and re-aired on the rerun channels), or using "this channel" or
power recording rules.

As far as creating the Power Rules, note that you can create and save
your own "example" clauses.  So, you can type in the extra tables (",
channelgroup cg, channelgroupnames cgn") and SQL ("cgn.name = 'BBC' AND
cg.grpid = cgn.grpid AND program.chanid = cg.chanid ") and save it as,
"Only BBC channels" (and similar for other channel groups you frequently
use), so that when you create new Power Rules, you just select that
option and it's "automatically" typed into the appropriate places in the
custom editor.  (Note that I didn't actually go through the process, so
the above lacks details, but should allow you to figure out how to do
so.  Just set it up once and it will make new rule creation much easier.

Mike