[mythtv-users] wish: Channel groups for scheduling

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 15 16:28:31 UTC 2012

On 10/15/2012 02:19 AM, Lee Donaghy wrote:
> The problem i got with selecting any channel was with repeat channels
> like Dave (UK channel) having a mix of old programing from other
> channels.

And you're saying that duplicate matching doesn't work across those
channels--because the channels have different subtitle/description
information (or because EIT is sticking extra, non-subtitle data into
subtitle or something)?

Or are you saying that you don't want to record
older-than-current-season episodes?  If that's the case, you should
either use a "new episodes" filter (assuming your guide data is
sufficiently good to support it) or just "teach" MythTV which episodes
you don't want to record with "Never record" overrides of old episodes.
You can do this relatively easily by just going to MythWeb every couple
of weeks and looking through the Upcoming Recordings to find the "I
don't care to record/watch these" (or the "I saw these before I started
using MythTV") episodes and marking them to never record.  I did this
with The Simpsons (which I had been watching long before I started using
MythTV) and--thanks to its airing frequently in reruns--it didn't take
long to teach MythTV what I'd already seen.  MythTV works best if it
/knows/ which episodes you don't want.

> i did have a good look around before i posted but i'll look into what
> you suggested.

Using Channel Groups in the Power Rule still requires Power Rules, but
is much more flexible--and safer--than using '%BBC%' type searches.

Mike