[mythtv-users] Communication between front & back end - New install

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 15 00:44:50 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 08:55 PM, Jesse wrote:

> Any suggestions?
>
>> "Can't communicate to server check IP address" is a little obscure. Is
>> the mysqld server running? Do 'ps -ae | grep mysqld' in a console.
>>
>> The 'check IP address' error sounds like myth is not able to talk to the
>> mysql server.
>>
>> Check the mysql.txt and config.xml files in your home folder. They
>> *MUST* contain the correct data. Use your computer's IP address for
>> 'DBHostname'.
>>
>> Note that if your router is serving out DHCP addresses, this will not
>> work, as your IP address can change on each boot. Set up your computer
>> with a static address and set your router to use the computer's MAC
>> address to choose the IP to send. (Sometimes called 'Static DHCP' in the
>> router's setup pages.)
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> I don't think it is the IP address either. If I was given a more
> accurate error message it would make it quicker to diagnose.

When, and where, *exactly* do you get this message?

> If it is an error in the mysql it doesn't seem logical... since MythTv
> was set up on a new partition and from a DVD. It maybe that a setup
> program is needed for the backend server to catch errors or faulty
> calls. Maybe there should be a program to grab the file data and review it.

I doubt that the install, even from an 'all-on-one' distro, sets up
EVERYTHING. That's what we are trying to discover: what is missing or wrong.

> I don't know how to set my computer to a static address or even check
> it, but don't think there is a router involved since this is a single
> machine involved.

This works at the computer level: your computer sets the address.
To set a static address, on your computer (and this assumes a fedora
install) use system-config-network or go in through System Settings ->
Network Settings. The button you want to set is marked 'Statically set
IP addresses (or Manual IP Address Settings). Enter an address in the
same range group as your router (something like 192.168.1.200 for you
box), subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway address is the IP of
your router, generally 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on the
manufacturer.
Then reboot.

There is a completely different and equal method if you are using a
router. This makes the router give out the address you want it to give.
Using this with all of your boxes, playstations, iphones, tablets etc.
means that everything will always be in the same place.

Using a browser, enter http:/192.168.1.1 (or ...0.1) and you should see
the default admin page for your router. On that you can select and set
'Static DHCP' or something like that. Enter the MAC address of the
computer (found with 'ifconfig') and then the IP address you want. Save
and exit.

Geoff