[mythtv-users] shared and high quality metadata (was: adding files from elsewhere to myth)

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sat Oct 13 10:47:28 UTC 2012

On 12.10.2012 16:10, Joseph Fry wrote:

> again.  I know it would be hard because the metadata wouldn't
> necessarily line up with the recording rules... but if that could be
> overcome (perhaps by doing metadata searches on scheduled recordings and
> comparing to previously imported episodes) it would be pretty awesome.

That's simple, but requires some years of hard work.

  * find someone to extend musicbrainz/bookbrainz in the direction of
    moviebrainz and tvbrainz, maybe as a summer of code project
    (doesn't matter if its Google, EU the or some foundation sponsoring
    it) they are the one project with well designed collaborative editing
    support.

  * then get the fanart communities to use the new internet scale
    identifiers for their art (already done over at fanart.tv and the
    coverartarchive for music related art)

  * then get the guide listing projects to switch over to the shared
    metadata (I can help with a handful of countries via nonametv/xmltv,
    maybe metabroadcast/the atlas community would join in, too)

  * then you can do all sorts of advanced use cases

unless we get that effort of the ground we'll always be putting
hacks on top of layers of older hacks. While our current hacks work
quite ok they are limited in what they can achieve.

If you need help with collecting corner cases to defining a proper data
model I'm happy to lend you a hand. But someone has to do the heavy
lifting (project management, funding and getting the mundane work done).

Regards,
Karl

PS: sorry for tooting that horn again, but I've been throwing the
concepts around for years and could not find an easier solution that
might work well.