[mythtv-users] Lossless cut works from command line but not as user job

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 21:37:21 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Doug Vaughan <r.d.vaughan at rogers.com> wrote:
> On 12-10-12 03:18 PM, Stephen Robertson wrote:
>>
>> Processing the configuration file failed. Error(The script does not
>> have read and write permissions for the "workpath" variables path:
>> "/tmp/lossless_cut")
>
> Stephen,
>     Another user mentioned that sometimes they get a permissions error when
> running Lossless Cut as a user job. We have not gotten to the bottom of that
> issue yet. At least your situation seems more consistent which means it is
> probably easier to resolve.
>
> I double checked the code and the trap that ends up displaying the text
> "Processing the configuration file failed" is immediately followed by a
> "sys.exit(1)" which should be indication of a failed job as far as I know
> "0" success and "1" failed.
>
> My set up is probably very different than yours but here is what I did to
> hook up the mythtv user with my regular user's ~./mythtv directory fro
> consistent configuration files. Below is a comparison of the permissions as
> seen from the mythtv account which the BE runs under and my regular "doug"
> account. I am grasping-at-straws but something below may trigger an idea for
> you.
>
>> sudo -umythtv ls -ls ~/.mythtv
> 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 doug doug 27 Apr 12  2012 /home/doug/.mythtv ->
> /media/virtual/home/.mythtv
>
> and
>> sudo -umythtv ls -ls /tmp
>   16 -rw-rw-r-- 1 doug    doug      16178 Oct 12 09:45
> 2583_20121012010000.log
>    4 drwxr-xr-x 2 doug    doug       4096 Oct 12 11:30 lossless_cut
>
> Vs my regular user account:
>> ls -ls ~/.mythtv
> 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 doug doug 27 Apr 12  2012 /home/doug/.mythtv ->
> /media/virtual/home/.mythtv
>
> and
>> ls -ls /tmp
> total 1320
>   16 -rw-rw-r-- 1 doug    doug      16178 Oct 12 09:45
> 2583_20121012010000.log
>    4 drwxr-xr-x 2 doug    doug       4096 Oct 12 11:30 lossless_cut
>
> I would like to see this issue to resolution. I did remove out additional
> listed files in the /tmp and ~/.mythtv directories but left those that I
> felt were relevant.
>
> Doug

In my case changing the owner/group of the automatically created
/tmp/lossless_cut directory solved the problem.   It was
stephen/stephen (my normal user) and changing to mythtv/mythtv

I wonder if the issue is that dependent on whether the first time it
is run is as a job or manually determines the ownership of the temp
folder?

Stephen