[mythtv-users] does MythTV include DLNA and/or UPnP A/V for watching recorded shows over the network?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Oct 12 21:15:56 UTC 2012

> > I'm interested in trying out MythTV.  I understand that if I get a TV
> tuner card and setup MythTV that it'll record shows onto the local hard
> drive.  I don't want to watch the recorded shows on the computer, though, I
> want to watch them on the big screen TV which is in a different room (but
> which has network connectivity to the PC).
> >
> > In the past I've used TVersity which is a DLNA / UPnP A/V server.  This
> allows you to watch video files which are hosted on the PC on a TV over the
> network, streaming the video to the TV.
> >
> > Does MythTV include this sort of functionality?  Or does it just record
> the show to the hard drive and I'm required to get it over to the TV on the
> network using something else (like TVersity)?
> >

> Myth has a built-in upnp server, but it doesn't do any transcoding so your
> tv must be capable of playing what mythtv serves up.
>
> The best mythtv experience though is to have a computer running
> mythfrontend plugged into your tv.

If your just starting out... go ahead and build a combined backend (server)
and frontend (client) computer... DLNA will probably work to get you
started.  However definitely take the time to use the frontend on the
computer.. once you see the power of the frontend  you will take the time
to build a frontend for each of your tvs (used small form factor Dell
Optiplex PC's make acceptable frontends for about $100 or so USD)