[mythtv-users] MythExpress, a browser based mythtv client

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Oct 12 14:16:23 UTC 2012

> With the first generation of services-based clients now trickling out I’d
> like to join the party and share a little project I have been working on
> the past while: it’s a web based interface to myth’s http streaming
> feature. I originally wrote it as an exercise to learn the nodejs/expressjs
> platform but over time I have come to find it quite useful and I’m thinking
> perhaps a few folks in the community might as well.
>
> The project files are at https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythExpressand it’s not too hard to set up.
>
> There is a catch however: you have to patch & build your own myth. Node’s
> bonjour package doesn’t get along with the service type myth uses so you
> have to apply the patch for ticket #10773. Sorry about that, package users.
> From my limited testing it looks like Apple Safari is the only browser
> guaranteed to work although other WebKit products might function and
> FireFox seems to do OK too. Internet Explorer is a total non-starter.
>
> If you do make use of the app I’d be curious to know if you find it
> intuitive. The main design goal is to suit my whims but I’m still
> interested if my decisions are on the right track. Also, I welcome
> constructive criticism from any node/jquery/html5 experts out there. I’m
> aware of a number of shortcomings but fresh eyes might see things I haven’t.

Sorry I can't test this, but I am extremely curious about it.  I have often
thought about doing something like it, but before HLS existed.   I was
thinking I would use the VLC webplugin (
http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:WebPlugin).  I would love to see
your app have a "local mode" that did something similar and bypassed the
need for transcoding.