[mythtv-users] Delete Oldest not working

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 11 22:51:38 UTC 2012

On 10/05/2012 12:12 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>> I was able to resolve the "ERROR when trying to delete file" error by
>> creating an empty file in the Storage folder.
>>
>> As a test, I decided to start recording the news every night, and keep
>> only 5 episodes.  This is also working correctly.
>>
>> Sesame Street is also working (somewhat).  A maximum of 17 episodes are
>> kept, even though I have it setup to only keep a max of 15.
>>
>> So, for some reason or another, this "Delete oldest" issue appears to be
>> local to the Sesame street recording schedule.  Are there any additional
>> parameters that could affect how mythtv determines if certain episodes
>> should be excluded from the "Delete oldest" list?  I only have one episode
>> set to preserved, so I'm not sure why 2 extra episodes are being kept.
>>
> Are any of those episodes set to not expire?  Are any the result of a
> different recording rule?  Are any of them in a different storage group,
> like LiveTV?
>
> I don't know the logic used, but I know if I wrote it I wouldn't include
> non-expiring recordings against my total, and would exclude livetv so that
> someone who is scanning channels and lands on sesame street doesn't prevent
> it from recording the full episode at a later time.

Actually, he needs to check if Preserve is set on any of the Sesame
Street episodes.  Preserve is used to specify whether episodes count
toward the "record new and delete oldest" limit, not "Allow
auto-expire."  (Auto-expire is something that happens when the file
system fills.  "Record new and delete oldest" occurs with not-full file
systems.)

Mike