[mythtv-users] Upgrading to 0.25 on opensuse 11.3

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 06:48:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've been running mythtv on suse for at least 5 years now and have
been upgrading it to the latest release a while after it was released.

As you probably already found out yourself, packman only has packages
for 11.4 and up.
So I think you either start packaging mythtv for 11.3 by yourself or upgrade.
Or you will have to upgrade, which means you are in for a couple surprises.
IE the lirc backend has been seriously overhauled so don't be
surprised if your remote stops working. (make a backup of your
lirc.conf and lircrc files)
As of 12.1 systemd is part of suse and there you will find some things
have changed as well.

the upgrade of opensuse :
I found the lirc overhaul the be the most difficult one since that
required a complete reconfiguration of my lirc configuration,
I did have backups of the config but those were only usefull as a
rough guide to getting the remote to work again.
lcdproc is dependand on lirc so you want to pay attention to that one as well.

Systemd didn't really give me any problems in fact after studying it
for a bit I found out how to make my frontend boot even faster with
it.
So in overall systemd is a change that once you get used to it, it
actually improves my frontend.

the upgrade of mythtv
Usually this goes very smooth for me, no db losses, corrupted files or anything.
Since my mythdb doesn't run on the same machine as the mythtv backend
it usually fails to start after an upgrade because it requires mysql
to be running on my mythbackend.
But that's an easy fix.
There are quite a lot of features in mythtv that I don't use that have
been overhauled, you might wanna read up on those:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25
And while you are at it, you might wanna consider these as well
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.26

Regards
Rob