[mythtv-users] Quiet cheap frontend for 1080p

Scott Knight scott at scottknight.com
Mon Oct 8 22:05:33 UTC 2012

on 10/8/2012 5:46 PM Douglas Wagner carved the following into a picnic
table:
> Any reason no one has mentioned the MacMini?  They're quiet, have
> built in bluetooth/wifi, and actually come with an IR remote that will
> function (at least somewhat) within MythTV.
>
> They may be a BIT slow, but self contained, quite and VERY VERY small.
I had a Mac Mini as my first standalone frontend.  It was a
Core-somethingorother that I maxxed out with RAM and a T5600 processor,
I think.

I loved it for it's integrated IR and footprint.  I hated it for it's
GMA graphics and fan that was way too loud under load.  It choked on
content that my first gen ION doesn't even breathe hard displaying.

I felt like I paid quite a lot of money for it when it was nearly two
years old.  I felt like someone else paid me too much two years later.
Those things really seem to hold their value :-)

Maybe newer ones are better?  They would have to be a LOT better and a
lot cheaper to convince me to give up my ION systems.

Scott