[mythtv-users] Mythbackend successfully running on virtualbox (win7 (64bit) host; mythbuntu 12.04.1 (64bit) guest)

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Oct 8 19:13:24 UTC 2012

On 10/8/2012 14:57, Krys Allen wrote:
> There really is no reason why running virtual should cause any issues
> except if you try to run a frontend and actually play media files.

You are trying to access hardware in a managed fashion, across the
virtual machine boundary. There are all sorts of reason why such a thing
would cause problems. Drivers expect hardware to respond in a timely
manner, and that simply isn't going to happen if you add an abstraction
layer in there.

> The reason I am running mine in vmware is I wanted to be able to move my
> tuner back and forth between Mythtv and a Nextpvr to test both pieces of
> software, vmware allows me to move my usb tuner with a click of a button.

Neither PVR software is going to be any good if you take its tuner away,
so there is no reason to have both running at the same time. Just
install both on the same system, and to switch between them, terminate
one, and run the other.