[mythtv-users] Problems with Nvidia 7050 S-Video setup after Debian upgrade.

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon Oct 8 13:07:08 UTC 2012

On 09/26/2012 09:26 PM, George Mari wrote:
> On 09/26/2012 09:00 AM, stuart wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wanted to toss this out here to see if I am missing something.
>>
>> I performed a much needed Linux / Debian upgrade on my Mythtv master and
>> slave backends.  The master has been back up and running for weeks now,
>> but the Debian slave has never recovered from the upgrade.
>>
>> The Debian slave upgrade went really badly and I have only recently got
>> the eth0 port working simply be purging and re-installing Debian
>> packages.  The current problem involves executing "startx".  Most of the
>> time the Debian slave locks up to the point where I can not even ssh
>> into it.
>>
>> I have poured over the files in /var/log and have yet to see the
>> problem.  The latest theory is that there may be an ACPI problem.  But
>> after about a dozen boots where I set "acpi=off" I am starting to doubt
>> that.
> [deleted]
>
> Have you looked into Xorg.0.log in /var/log?  I'm on Fedora, so I'm not
> sure if you would have exactly the same file in Debian.

As a follow up...

I'm going to chalk this on up to a really bad Debian upgrade.  Brought
on by avoiding upgrades for about a year.  You know how we mythtv people
are - the WAF is so important that we leave "working" alone for as long
as possible.

A new Debian install has it's own problems w/this card (really mobo).
Or it could be that us SVideo hold-outs are not getting support any
more.  The auto ("which monitor is plugged in") detecting did not work
and neither did the "please create an xorg.conf so I can fiddle w/it"
work.  Luckily I've 2 of these mythtv "things" and copied the xorg.conf
from the other and guessed at what to add for SVideo.  I was the most
surprised person in the room (besides the dog) when it started working.

-thanks