[mythtv-users] SSD disk for DB

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Oct 8 12:21:54 UTC 2012

I started a discussion on this earlier this year, which I thought
ended up with some decent info:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?post=500144;list=mythtv

A few of the takeaway's from that thread.

1) I saw a huge performance boost from database which gave me much
better performance in mythweb and the mythfrontend program guide and
watch recordings screens. A few of the posts alluded that you might be
able to get the same results by having your entire DB cached in
memory, but there wasn't much discussion towards that end.

2) I discussed write-wear on the drives and measuring it. In short, I
did not find it necessary to do most of the things websites advocate
you do. I did align the partition to a 1MB boundary to be safe (not
sure if any newer drives would require a larger alignment than that).
I also mounted the partition with noatime (though I do that for all
drives, not just SSDs). The only thing I found to be causing
significant wear were the mysql temporary tables created by the myth
scheduler running several times an hour. I solved this my moving /tmp
to memory, but other's said it could just as well be solved by
configuring mysql to put temp tables in memory by altering some
settings in my.cnf

Keeping the above in mind, read through that thread for the details.

--
Ron Frazier