[mythtv-users] How to help the mythtv community ( was Re: Live TV interfering with scheduled recordings)

Scott harris scott.harris0509 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 18:03:43 UTC 2012

>>> Though I'm sure it's meaningless to the profoundly useful "if you don't like
>>> it ask for your money back" types that so frequently crop up in the Open
>>> Source community, who seem to have the attitude "if you can't fix it or
>>> patch it, keep quiet", I did what I am capable of doing a while ago....
>>>
>>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11119#comment:3
>>And while reports of bugs are useful, there are probably other things
>>you *could* do, but have not chosen to do.  Not everyone can code
>>c++/qt.  But perhaps you can create a theme.  Perhaps you can
>>update the wiki (there is a bit of "stuff" that is old/obsolete/wrong).
>>Even if you cannot code, you could contribute some QA resources
>>for every patch by committing a development system and your time.
>>Perhaps you could look into assisting with various distro packaging.
>>Perhaps you can help others on the user list with obscure questions
>>(freeing Mike's time:-).  Last I looked, the doxygen output was still a
>>bit incomplete (that was being nice to it), and Improving developer
>>documentation for the coder developers helps them get things done
>>faster (and perhaps allows them to get to your issue).  And, of course,
>>if you want your bug/feature to gain priority, hire a contractor to work
>>on it (the wiki tells you where to post, and I would guess a number of
>>the "developers for rent" companies would gladly take your money too).
>>The developers have consistently said they do want bug reports, but
>>if/when they get looked at or addressed will totally depend on the
>>time/energy available to the volunteers.  The reality is that the more
>>that you contribute, the more you are part of the supporting community
>>and the more likely it is that your issue will be considered a higher
>>priority (you scratch their back, they will scratch your back).

>>"The reality is that the more that you contribute, the more you are part of the supporting community and the more likely it is that your issue will be considered a higher priority (you scratch their back, >>they will scratch your back)."

>I completely agree with Gary's statement above.  Even if you can't code, you can:
>1. respond to questions on IRC or the MAILING LIST.
>2. edit the wiki pages, http://mythtv.org/wiki
>3. File bugs.
>4. document how you resolve issues and publish it, so others can follow.

>The more the mythtv community seems alive, the more people it will attract.

I’m not quite sure how to respond to someone who tells me the best way I can help the community is to respond in the mailing list and file bugs by quoting one of my responses in the mailing list with a link to my one of my bug reports.....

FWIW, I have and do edit the wiki when I come across something lacking, incorrect or out dated.  Having said that, I rarely use the wiki because my system has been up and running for several years and I mostly tend to find bugs now with new versions....when it breaks something that previously worked.  I have filed many bug reports and provided as much information as possible when requested.  I’ll never develop a theme, because I find stick men challenging.

Regardless of that, the “If you don’t like it, you can always ask for your money back” responses are EQUALLY as useless as complaining without being willing to try to help.