[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0.26-1 have to manual restart mythbackend in order to connect

John da_audiophile at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 17:02:15 UTC 2012

The recent v0.26 update has done something odd to my setup such that I have to manually restart mythbackend in order for my clients to connect.

What I did after updating:
1) Added the timezone info to mysql per the release notes
2) Deleted ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt and replaced it with an updated config.xml

The problem:
Systemd loads both mysqld and mythbackend along with all my other daemons just fine.  Mythfrontend comes up after lxde loads as usual.  But I get an annoying:

"Could not connect to the master backend server.  Is it running?  Is the IP address set for it in mythtv-set correct?"

My solution is to restart the backend and then everything works as it should.

Questions I cannot answer:
Why do I have to restart mythbackend now in order to maintain normal functionality?
Why does stopping mythbackend take 90 secs?  In the past it tooks 2-3 sec.

Details and Log files:
~/.mythtv/config.xml --> http://pastebin.com/3hGdu5xn

Output from updated mysql to include timezones --> http://pastebin.com/WgVLRjFX
Output of the timezone test --> http://pastebin.com/WEbSq1un
Output of updated the db --> http://pastebin.com/4HPUj80D

Log (mythbackend) from freshly booted system --> http://pastebin.com/4YdJLYka
Log (mythlogserver) from freshly booted system --> http://pastebin.com/cRf1jMuy
Log (mythfrontend) from freshly booted system --> http://pastebin.com/xVi176HL

NOW!  When I manually stop mythbackend (which takes 90 sec for some reason), and when I exit and reload the frontend, everything is fine.

Log (mythfrontend) AFTER the manual restart --> http://pastebin.com/iTKtyqFQ