[mythtv-users] Live TV interfering with scheduled recordings

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 06:23:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Scott harris <scott.harris0509 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Though I'm sure it's meaningless to the profoundly useful "if you don't like
> it ask for your money back" types that so frequently crop up in the Open
> Source community, who seem to have the attitude "if you can't fix it or
> patch it, keep quiet", I did what I am capable of doing a while ago....
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11119#comment:3

And while reports of bugs are useful, there are probably other things
you *could* do, but have not chosen to do.  Not everyone can code
c++/qt.  But perhaps you can create a theme.  Perhaps you can
update the wiki (there is a bit of "stuff" that is old/obsolete/wrong).
Even if you cannot code, you could contribute some QA resources
for every patch by committing a development system and your time.
Perhaps you could look into assisting with various distro packaging.
Perhaps you can help others on the user list with obscure questions
(freeing Mike's time:-).  Last I looked, the doxygen output was still a
bit incomplete (that was being nice to it), and Improving developer
documentation for the coder developers helps them get things done
faster (and perhaps allows them to get to your issue).  And, of course,
if you want your bug/feature to gain priority, hire a contractor to work
on it (the wiki tells you where to post, and I would guess a number of
the "developers for rent" companies would gladly take your money too).
The developers have consistently said they do want bug reports, but
if/when they get looked at or addressed will totally depend on the
time/energy available to the volunteers.  The reality is that the more
that you contribute, the more you are part of the supporting community
and the more likely it is that your issue will be considered a higher
priority (you scratch their back, they will scratch your back).

Gary