[mythtv-users] Live TV interfering with scheduled recordings

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sat Oct 6 04:31:40 UTC 2012

>  and even if he didn't it wouldn't matter, if the tuner he is watching

>>> Interesting this issue has persisted as long as it has with as many
>>> people complaining about it as there are.
>>>

>  and none of them doing anything about it...  (I'm sure you're not trying
>> to imply that you're not getting your money's worth from the MythTV
>> Customer Service department after all that money you payed for your MythTV
>> software license and support agreement. ;)
>>

>  Mike
>>

> Though I'm sure it's meaningless to the profoundly useful "if you don't
> like it ask for your money back" types that so frequently crop up in the
> Open Source community, who seem to have the attitude "if you can't fix it
> or patch it, keep quiet", I did what I am capable of doing a while ago....
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11119#comment:3

There is no "if you don't like it ask for your money back" 'type'.  There
are volunteers who contribute massive amounts of time and energy to a
project for nothing more than the pleasure it brings them to do it.  Anyone
who benefits from their work and contributes nothing in return must accept
that they are at the mercy of those that do contribute.

When a developer says something like the above it's a simple statement that
if your wishes, desires, or needs are not being met, it's because the
developers are already spending their (personal, spare) time on things THEY
want to work on and don't have time and/or desire to do what you want them
to do.  No one is asking that you keep quiet when you spot a bug... they
want you to file a bug report.  But criticism should be avoided; if you
donated hundreds of hours of time into something that 1 in a million people
could do, would you want to be criticized for not taking the time to
address something minor.   Build a house, give it to someone for free, and
see how you like hearing them complain about your choice of paint color.