[mythtv-users] OTA and attic antenna

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches at jacob21819.net
Fri Oct 5 17:16:57 UTC 2012

> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 05:46:09 -0400
> From: Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com>
> To: marc at marcpare.com, Discussion about MythTV
> 	<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Marc Par? <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
> > I am considering moving from cable to OTA and was wondering if any on this
> > list would have any recommendations for an attic antenna.
> >

> I use the Eagle Aspen Dtv2Buhf Directv 2-Bay Uhf Antenna in my attic.
> I live 15-20 miles from the broadcast towers, but my biggest issue is
> that the stations are in exact opposite directions.  After a lot of
> experimentation with positioning, I can get reliable signals most of
> the year.
>
> But, I do find the signals are affected by the time of year - every
> year I lose 2 channels from fall to spring and then signal comes right
> back.  I live in the southeast US so snow is not an issue here.  I
> have a rather long coax cable run to the attic, my next approach is to
> run cat5 up there and put the HDHR in the attic too.  I hope the
> shorter coax run will be enough to keep the signal strong all year.
>
> OTA is the best picture you will get - well worth the time spent
> setting it up.  Good luck!
>
> Dave

Another potential solution to the problem of transmitters in
opposite directions would be to install two antennas and
combine the signals by running a coax splitter in reverse.

That solution could have negative side effects if there's a
source of interference in the opposite direction for one or
more channels.  However, there are special-purpose combiners
available that contain channel-specific filters.

Running two coax lines from the attic, one from each antenna,
possibly to two separate HDHRs, would also bypass the
interference problem.

One option for adding a UHF attic antenna is to build one.  I
built one of these a few years ago:

    http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com

It works quite well for UHF.  If it weren't for the fact that
many of my local stations (Portland, OR area) are VHF, I'd be
using it instead of an amplified Terk/Audiovox unit.

HTH

Robert