[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Fri Oct 5 03:44:21 UTC 2012

On 4 October 2012 02:05, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Michael Watson
> <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
> > On 30/09/2012 9:46 PM, Steve Malenfant wrote:
> >>
> >> I've made a mistake for my whole finally lately... I upgraded from
> >> 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS on my MythTV Box. Not sure exactly why I've done it
> >> because everything was working so smoothly... I've been trying to find
> >> information about the following but mostly everything failed. Probably
> due
> >> to the fact that I don't have time to mess with my system anymore.
> >>
> >> - NVIDIA VDPAU just won't work. There is the libvdpau-nvidia that's
> >> missing or that has the wrong version. Searching and searching here.
> >> Multiple people seems to have the problem never found a solution that
> worked
> >> for me.
> >
> > I had this on a fresh install of Mythbuntu, checking the Install Binary
> > Driver for Nvidia during setup.  Driver was installed, but kernel module
> had
> > not been compiled, xorg.conf not configured appropriately.  I remove
> nvidia*
> > packages, ran jockey-gtk to reinstall the drivers, after reboot the
> nvidia
> > drivers where installed properly.
> >
> >> - Screen Saver stuck on 10 minutes and screen goes black... I thought
> the
> >> kids to go and move the move instead of screaming "Daddy!". Some say to
> >> change the ScreenSaver app.
> >
> > I believe default is for Power management to blank screen after 10
> minutes,
> > Reconfigure Power management, or disable and configure xscreensaver.
> >>
> >> - The Unity bar always show up on the left, can't get rid of it.
> >>
> >> I wasn't expecting much trouble upgrading... I disabled VDPAU, at least
> >> can play the .mp4 files but not the MPEG-2 recording.
> >>
> >> Any pointers to help would be great!
> >>
> >> Thanks.
>
> just a +1 to this answer.
> I had to do the same basic thing for the nvidia drivers. I was doing
> it all via ssh so it was manual, but the same basic process.
>
> I'm not running a display manager on my frontends so I did not have to
> deal with the timeout issue.

I recently did a fresh install of mythbunut 12.04 and can confirm I'm not
having any issues with vdpau, maybe the upgrade doesn't blacklist the open
source nvidia drivers (nouveau)

and as for the screen saver I disable this anyway.

I still have a few minor issues the worse being remapping remote button :(

Cheers,

Anthony