[mythtv-users] Nvidia ION frontend

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Thu Oct 4 21:13:10 UTC 2012

On 10/4/12 11:44 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello, I just change my system and now I have a backend on a different
> server, so I need a light frontend machine.
>
> My idea is to install 8GB SSD drive on a Nvidia ION board, and suspend
> when I switch off the TV.
I have three identical ION boxes attached to frontends, and they work
very well. Rather than using SSDs, I'd suggest you save some money by
either netbooting or doing what I do: use SDHC cards.

I also use suspend to RAM/resume, relying on the standby mode of the
monitor to power it down when the video signal disappears. In the case
of my LG plasma TV, I had to resort to a serial connection to turn it
off, as the Pulse-8 CEC device does not support power commands for LG's
proprietary extensions to the CEC protocol.