[mythtv-users] Pre-0.26 Upgrade, DB Backup

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 18:42:54 UTC 2012

On 10/03/2012 10:12 AM, Jim Oltman wrote:
> I'm reading the Release Notes for 0.26, and while I will wait a while to
> upgrade, I am curious about the DB backup procedure.  The notes say to run:
>
> /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_backup.pl
>
> as the user that will be performing the upgrade.

Hi;

Truth be told, the original reason for adding that was my
misunderstanding that the upgrade process would use the
backuprc file of the user running mythbackend (probably
mythtv) or mythtv-setup (probably $USER.)

It turns out the configuration file is created 'on the fly' so my
reason is wrong. The 1st choice for the backup directory is from
the 'DB Backups' storage group (with 'Default' next followed by
/tmp.)

So, if the directory in 'DB Backups' matches the DBBackupDirectory
entry in backuprc (mine does,) then the test is a good one, if only
to test write permissions. I understand that writing to /tmp isn't
likely to fail, but a backup there would be erased if someone
boots before realizing they need the file.

--
Bill