[mythtv-users] OTA and attic antenna

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 18:23:48 UTC 2012

>> I am considering moving from cable to OTA and was wondering if any on this list
>> would have any recommendations for an attic antenna.

I love having my antenna in the attic. Where I live now, rabbit ears
are almost good enough, so my 4-foot Yagi in the attic does great
(can't remember if it came from Home Depot or Lowes or Radio Shack). I
can aim it 45° off-center in either direction without the signal
strength meter so much as budging. (Admittedly, I moved in this
summer, so my signal may degrade slightly this winter when the roof
has some snow piled up on it -- I don't forsee a problem though.)

All else being equal, an attic antenna will need to be larger than an
outdoor one. On the upside, you don't have to worry about lightning
strikes. And it never gets blown down in windstorms. And your cable
run is shorter (especially if you wall-mount your USB or Ethernet
tuner near the ceiling), which improves signal strength. Cable
connections won't corrode as fast. And installation and servicing are
easier/safer.

If antennaweb shows you have good signal strength, I'd buy the biggest
antenna that will fit in your attic. If your signal ends up being too
weak, you can always move it to the roof.

Of course, none of this applies if you have a metal roof or a radiant barrier.