[mythtv-users] New install - No TV

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Oct 3 09:56:02 UTC 2012

On 02/10/12 21:06, Damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> A few days ago, I set up a backend Myhtbuntu system on a HP ProLiant
> Mircoserver. It has a Freecom DVB-T USB stick plugged into the back of it.
>
> A full channel scan seems to take a LONG time (much much longer than with my
> previous setup, but it's gets there in the end. It seems to find all of the
> channels that I want. I have also tried manually entering transports information
> and again 'seem' to get all of the channels (eventually).
>
> Then something seems to go wrong. I'm asked if I want to run Mythfilldatabase
> (or whatever it's called), and I say yes. It seems to just flash off of screen
> though. If I go to Mythweb, there's no data in there.
>
> Tonight, I have just installed a fresh frontend only Mythbuntu onto a different
> box. All connects fine, but there's no scheduling data, and if I click to watch
> TV, the screen is just black with the UI overlay remaining on the bottom of the
> screen.
>
> Can anyone tell me where to go from here? I feel so close, but something is not
> right.
>
> Thanks
> Damian
>
> PS I'm using "dvd-usb-wt220u-fc03.fw" with the USB stick. I assume that's right,
> as the device shows up and at least seems to scan for the channels ok.
>
> PPS The guide data that I'm trying to get is via EIT. I'm in the UK if that
> makes any difference.

If you are intent on using EIT then you don't need to run mythfilldatabase. The
'flashing off the screen' is mfdb probably writing an error message to the
console that you didn't choose a valid xmltv source option.

Although it is more work to set up, you will get much better scheduling
information from the Radio Times xmltv feed. This will give you 14 days data and
will allow you (and the scheduler) to plan ahead.

Channel scanning /can/ take a long time, especially if you can see more than one
transmitter. When your scan is done go to the Transport Editor (button in the
Channel Editor screen); you should have five entries. If there are more, you are
receiving transmissions from more than one direction and will have many
duplicate channels which will complicate your lineup. Look in the archives for
ways to resolve this situation.

--

Mike Perkins