[mythtv-users] My so far 0.26 expierience

warpme warpme at o2.pl
Wed Oct 3 07:40:47 UTC 2012

Hi *

As 0.26 seems to be released, I want to share with You my over month of experience with 0.26.
 My sys is quite standard: headless BE + 3 ION1 diskless FE + 2xOSX FE
 BE in on AMD880G with E235 CPU (2x2,6G, 35W), 4G RAM, 2TB WD green for OS/DB/Movies, 3TB WD Green for recordings, 4xDVB-S2 tuners on Unicable, 1xDVB-T.

Upgrade:
 I upgraded from highly stable 0.25.2. Compiling BE was snap. With FE I had glitch related to cross-building zeromq (I'm building 64bit FE image on 32bit host). Adding compiler -fPIC option solves issue.
 Upgrade went without any problem - only thing worth to mention that DB upgrade is loooong (mine took 10min or so).
 Generally - after packages preparation I was up & running within 10min.
 Polishing took 2-3 evenings (i.e. there was change in xml status date format so I have to adapt my scripts, etc).

First look:
 Ppl using 0.25 will feel like in home. I haven't time to play with i.e. with HLS, but MythMusic Internet streams playback is HUGE thing for me !.
 I would say 0.26 is pretty safe for ppl don't liking learning new UI/features.

Daily use:
 As I want to be sure system is stable, initially I run some stability tests: beside 20-30 daily family records I scheduled 36 test recordings rules triggering up to 16 (8HD+8SD) parallel recordings.
After 2 weeks of tests I can say: 0.26 is far most stable release I had.
I'm conservative type of user (preferring stability over functionality) so I must say I'm really impressed with 0.26 stability and performance (i.e. 16 concurrent recordings on single SATA attached WD3TB is absolutely no problem; gives avg 45% load on CPU & 15-25% IOwait).
Some time ago I post on users mailing list about high BE RSS consumption (1-1,3GB when recording 16 parallel streams.). This issue is solved by applying hunk4 from ticket11061.
During month of operation I had single segfault on BE (also described on users ML), but absolutely no any other show stoppers - so in my case 0.26 is really best ver. ever.

If anybody is not sure go or not with 0.26 - I strongly encourage You to go.

For devs I want to say huge _TTHHAANNKK YYOOUU_ for Your incredible work !

-br