[mythtv-users] Is there still a global padding option?

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Tue Oct 2 21:59:14 UTC 2012

On 3/10/2012 12:57 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> At 11:41 PM +1000 10/2/12, Michael Watson wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, you've said that a couple of times but it is a complete fallacy.
>>> This is not a 'setting' in any normal sense of the word--it is a
>>> repair item.  Toe-in is set at the factory when the car is built.
>>> Correction requires a trained mechanic with specialized equipment.
>>> The nearest analogy to Myth is a user building from source and
>>> applying local patches.  Wait...that is perfectly possible with Myth
>>> and does not need another (UI) setting!
>>
>> "Fallacy??".  It is a setting adjusted by "tuners" and suspension
>> technicians.  Changing toe in settings can dramatically change the
>> handling of a vehicle, and can be changed by a "user" who knows what
>> they are doing.  "Specialized equipment" can be purchased from good
>> auto stores.  Reasons for changing it include different wheel/tyre
>> sizes, different load conditions, different driving conditions,
>> adjustment for wear n tear.
>>
>> With this in mind, the are many places where this analogy can be
>> applied to Myth, for instance; the number of "virtual tuners", the
>> tuning delay for channel changes, even the color and/or size of fonts.
>
> But we're talking about user-facing interface options.  Or are you
> arguing that automobiles are deficient because they don't have a
> "toe-in" knob on the dashboard.  And, of course, you'd also have to
> have "camber" and "alignment" knobs too!

Merely stating, that even though most people have no need/knowledge of
an option, doesn't mean it should not exist.  For some options/settings
there is need for the ability to change the default behavior.
PS.  It is Camber, Caster and Toe-In / Toe-Out.  Alignment is the
layman's term for the adjustment of all three settings.

> Cars used to have controls like a spark advance lever. Improvements in
> ignition systems made them unnecessary.  This is the kind of
> improvement Mike is suggesting where you make the system smart enough
> to do the right thing for most people.  Do you really think it would
> be a good thing to have a forest of levers and knobs on a car's dash?
> Can you teach 16 year old's how to optimize the spark advance?  Is
> that going to work better than electronic or computerized ignition?
> Should we have to adjust toe-in, camber and alignment every time we
> start the car?  Or continuously while driving?

And frustrating for those that the defaults do not work for (aka Apple
devices).  No we dont need a "forest of levers", but we do need the
ability to change/disable to smarts/defaults, and provide our own
without having to modify code and recompile.  Not on every minute
option, but those where there is a chance that the default setting will
not suit everybody, or a chance that the "smarts" will be wrong.

Interesting to note, but new cars have many more "levers" than older cars.

Even with electronic/computerized ignition, it is still possible to
change "spark advance", once again, the average user has no need for it,
but some require/desire it.  On some cars this can be done by uploading
new ignition maps, others require fitting aftermarket ignition systems,
or piggy back ignition systems, or simply adding a resistor in the right
place.