[mythtv-users] Is there still a global padding option?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 2 01:31:27 UTC 2012

On 09/28/2012 05:03 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 29/09/2012 3:02 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> Maybe "it just works", but very frustrating to use.
>>>>
>>> That works for Apple because they only have a fixed, limited variety
>>> of hardware to program for and the hardware is all under Apple's
>>> control.
>>
>> No, Apple focused on simplicity because it was a key mantra of Steve
>> Jobs:
>>
>> http://www.socialnomics.net/2011/10/05/steve-jobs---10-lessons-in-life-leadership/
>>
>> Steve Jobs demanded that the iPod not have any buttons on it;
>> including an on/off switch. This seemed implausible for the engineers
>> working on the project, but Jobs wouldn't bend. The engineers were
>> pushed to their limits and as a result the scroll wheel was inspired.
>> Jobs indicates "that's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity.
>> Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your
>> thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end
>> because once you get there, you can move mountains."
>>
>> Myth, currently, is very much the opposite.  The pages and pages of
>> settings in Myth verge on incomprehensible.  Even stuff that I need
>> and use, I sometimes forget if the knob is in mythfrontend Settings
>> or in mythtv-setup--and I've been using Myth for over 6 years.  If we
>> took a sample of 1,000 active Myth installations, what percentage of
>> Myth's settings on each system are still at the delivered default?
>> I'd guess on each individual install, less than 15% of the available
>> settings are changed.  Of course, each individual knob is somebody's
>> sacred cow that can't possibly be eliminated.
>>
>> Fewer settings is a good thing--both for Myth and other consumer
>> gadgets.  Even if some resist.
>
> Just because you never change the radio station on you car radio,
> should that option be removed?
> Just because you dont know where the toe-in adjustment on your car is
> (or what it does), should that be removed?
> Should the Temperature setting be removed from your
> heater/airconditioner? (and just set to what the manufacturer wants it
> to be?)
>
> If you took a sample of 1000 Windows Users, or KDE Users, or Gnome
> Users, MythTV Users, the results would be fairly similar.  This is not
> a good argument to rip out the "least popular" options.   Most of
> options/settings are there for a reason, some may be obscure (or
> forgotten), no reason to remove them, unless they are no longer
> required.  Remove all the options, and you have a system that works
> only the way the developers want (akin to an Apple Device), which is
> fine if that works for you, but frustrating if you want to change the
> behavior slightly to work with your hardware/timezone/channel
> listing/media/etc/etc/etc.

I typed up a long response showing why the common arguments are
completely invalid.

In the interest of avoiding a big argument, here's the short version:

a) Nearly all of our "true" settings--including those "most loved" by
users--are settings that users only know how to set by trial and error.
Rather than force users to try, see that it doesn't work, change, test
again, and repeat until they find the working setting, we should be
doing that testing automatically in the code and just use the right
setting.  These we're removing (so you don't have to know whether or not
your video hardware and drivers properly support multi-texturing, vertex
arrays, ...).

b) The "radio stations on the car radio" is primary functionality of the
radio device, just like recording TV is primary functionality of
MythTV.  We give you all the "settings" you need for that in terms of
channels (and their "settings" like channel numbers, channel names, call
signs, ...), recording rules (and all their "settings"), storage groups,
...  We won't be taking those out /because/ they're primary
functionality of MythTV and need to be adjusted for the myriad of
locales/broadcasts/hardware/system configurations used by our users.
These we're keeping.

c) Where user-preference is involved, we also provide choices--such as
key bindings and UI and menu themes (and all of the "settings" exposed
through theming).  We just won't be providing a setting in the settings
screen to allow you to change your key bindings (you'll do that through,
er, changing your key bindings) or to allow you to second-guess/break
the well-tested theme design (you'll do that through switching themes,
changing the theme design, or creating your own theme).  These we're
keeping--but only in the place they belong.

d) The remaining "true" settings not covered by a, b, and c, above, are
actually just placebos--like the completely broken "one preview pixmap
offset will work fine for all channels by all broadcasters from all
sources showing all types of content" setting that was removed (and
replaced by code that actually attempts to figure out a usable in-show
frame by taking into account things like start early/end late, program
start time, recording start time, commercial skip lists, and cut lists
actually gives much better results than blindly choosing a single
location to be used for all recordings (and, yes, I actually did testing
with many thousands of recordings to find we'd need settings to allow
control based on recording rule (type of program and commercial-break
timing--which actually even changes between seasons of programs),
channel (different ones use different formats for breaks), video source
(as there can be quite noticeable delays between OTA and cable/satellite
rebroadcasts), and more).  These we're removing and replacing with code
that does what we've since learned the setting couldn't do (uses more
information to get a better answer).

And I won't even mention the fact that blaming the layout of our
settings pages for users being unable to know about/find/determine
effect of all of our existing settings doesn't help.  If you really feel
that's the problem, come up with a design that would mean I'm not
constantly quoting/pointing out/explaining settings on the list.
(However, since that's impossible, I plan to proceed with my current
replace the "I'll just make a setting and force the user to figure out
the right thing so I don't have to write so much code" with the /much
more/ code required to just Do The Right Thing plan.)

Mike