[mythtv-users] Determine HD Homerun Prime usefulness

Scott Chevalley avalon at osguru.org
Mon Oct 1 22:20:42 UTC 2012

On 10/01/2012 05:59 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 17:34 -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>
>>   If you're seeing pretty much everything on Comcast as
>> encrypted copy once (or copy never), then you likely have
>> configuration problems at your local comcast office.  Send email to
>> we_can_help at cable.comcast.com and someone should be able to fix the
>> problem.
>
> I may get around to checking all this in some detail. Of course I only
> care about the channels we actually watch. There may be some (or even
> many) channels that are set copy-freely, but I'm interested in HD cable
> channels such as ESPN, SyFy, etc., and I don't have any Premium channels
> (HBO etc.) Are you saying those non-Premium HD cable channels are
> supposed to be available to a recording device such as a
> cable-card-equipped MythTV system?

I have Fios in Northern Virginia and the only things they've marked as copy-once
is the premium channels (ie. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc).  The "normal" cable
channels, whether HD or not, are copy-freely, including Syfy, ESPN, Comedy
Central, etc.  I have three DCR-2650 boxes with cable cards, each having two
tuners, and have not problems with the channels I normally watch.  I did have
their Ultimate plan which included the premiums and was able to watch some stuff
until the end of July when they flipped the copy-once flag on them.  I've since
downgraded to the slightly lower HD plan without the premium channels, and
upgraded my internet to the mostly ridiculous 75/35 plan.

Scott