[mythtv-users] Moving storage and database to new machine?

Magnus Larsson magnus at vista.se
Mon Oct 1 19:00:22 UTC 2012

Hi!

Thanks for your advice! Yes, I meant complete backup of database,
however, I was not aware of the scripts described on the wiki page
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore).

And the idea to physically move the drives is appreciated - had not
thought of that.

One more question: I understand how I manage the hostname, and it sounds
like a good idea to use the old hostnamne (I know how to manage that) -
but:

What about the path to the recordings themselves? I mean, how are they
identified in the database - does that depend on the actual path in the
file-system? I would like to use another file system logic in the new
one, as the old one is not logical (due to incremental growth over a few
years). Will that work, or do I need to consider this specifically? (I
am quite ignorant about how the mythtv database actually works....).

I hope this makes sense. Grateful for any comments on it. I am getting
this process started tomorrow.

Best,

Magnus