[mythtv-users] Dedicated backend

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 09:57:48 UTC 2012

On 1 October 2012 10:45, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Josu Lazkano wrote:
>
>  I have a internal USB adapter, so I will add USB LiveCD to perform
>> some partition backups. Is this a good idea?
>>

> My preference is to do file-level backups.

+1 for this.

Always done this kind of backup for Linux machines, the main reason, as
Simon said, you don't need to shutdown the machine.

I don't use rsync, although it might be better.  I use this command, to an
external HDD:

tar cvpzf /media/mediadrive/backup.tgz --exclude=/proc
--exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/media
--exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/recordings --exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/pictures
--exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/music --exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/videos
--exclude=/var/lib/mythtv/livetv --exclude=/var/lib/mytharchive
--exclude=/home/user/.local/share/Trash
--exclude=/home/user/Desktop/BACKUP-MYTHTV1 /

Martin