[mythtv-users] Dedicated backend

David Edwards david at more.fool.me.uk
Mon Oct 1 08:39:30 UTC 2012

On 1 October 2012 08:55, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Is a good option to install 64bits? I always use 32bits.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to use 64bit on a server; all the
compatibility issues I've come across with 64bits have been
desktop-related (eg, Flash, Java).

> 2. Do you recommend to add a special filesystems? for mysql, for recordings...

People have had performance problems with MySQL on ext4 compared to
ext3 severe enough to impact watching video on MythTV. If you have the
option of keeping your database on a separate partition, you could use
ext3 just for that.

> 3. Any other advice?

I would suggest Ubuntu instead of Debian, because most other people do
(http://smolt.mythtv.org/static/stats/stats.html). The Mythbuntu
packages are convenient and you'll probably get more support from
fellow users.

David