[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Nov 28 19:15:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 01:39:09PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 01:20 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> >On Wednesday 28 Nov 2012 12:32:09 Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >>FWIW, the defaults for volume in MythTV are:

[deletia]

> Which helps with just a few "normal" multimedia keys (i.e. those
> that are also likely to exist on a multimedia keyboard).  It doesn't
> help at all for all the other remote buttons, as above.

    That's also a simple enough case that you could just standardize
the button names in the lirc configuration files. Your distribution
can manage these and you would never know know anything was "fixed"
unless you've got a legacy setup.

[deletia]

> Again, I'm talking about all the rest of the buttons--the "not
> normal" buttons that exist on remotes; the ones we /can't/ make work
> without some reconfiguration of the underlying system (kernel
> keymaps) or major rearchitecting of X or some program, such as LIRC,
> designed to make remotes usable in X.  This is why, IMHO, it's
> better for a remote to be completely unusable and require complete
> configuration (i.e. let the user know exactly what needs to be done)
> rather than make the number and VCR buttons work and leave the rest
> useless--and completely unusable with the approach that the user
> thought was "close, so I just have a few changes to make for these
> last few buttons".  At that point, when the user tries to make those
> "few changes", they'll find they have to completely change the
> approach their using.

    LIRC has been a historic pain in the arse and prone to make you
go WTF but it also allows for a great deal of flexibility and control
without much extra effort compared to tinkinering around with the
kernel level interfaces being described.