[mythtv-users] Best options/howto for diskless frontends

David Edwards david at more.fool.me.uk
Tue Nov 27 17:28:38 UTC 2012

On 26 Nov 2012 09:34, "Per Jessen" <per at computer.org> wrote:
> Paul Gardiner wrote:
> > 3) To do the initial install actually on the diskless machine,
> > so that I get as much automatic config as possible.
>
> I think that means hooking up a drive first, then installing, then
> copying the filesystem to your NFS-server.  I don't think I've ever
> tried installing straight onto NFS.

I have managed this once on an older version of Ubuntu. It involved
dropping out of the installer near the start, mounting the remote at the
installer's /target folder, and dropping back into the installer. It was
sufficiently fiddly that I can't recall further details.

There are maintenance benefits of being diskless, but I personally found
they were outweighed by the maintenance disadvantages and in the end I got
a small SSD for my latest install.

David