[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:55:28 UTC 2012

On Monday 26 Nov 2012 10:52:06 Phil Bridges wrote:

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

Dean wrote:

**** And, yes, I really mean "VCR" buttons, and not DVR buttons. IMHO, fast forward and rewind are only actions performed by people who are thinking in VCR terms.  DVRs are random-access, so there's no need to fast forward, and I can't think of a situation where you'd get a benefit from fast forwarding versus just skipping some appropriate-for-what-you're-skipping amount.

+1 to that. I don't use FF/RW at all - I only ever use the jump keys.

I disagree.  FF/RW are very important...I have problems understanding some dialog sometimes, and it's nice to be able to RW to hear it.  Plus, sometimes the commercial skip isn't perfect (or just plain doesn't work) and I need to FF through commercials.  I see no reason to get rid of this crucial functionality.

I agree with you as far as the problems (needing to re-hear dialog, manual commercial skip), but I find jump back 7 seconds/jump forward 30 seconds to be infinitely preferable to FF/RW to solve them.  What makes jump bad for you to the point where FF/RW is crucial for these problems?

The fact that I have them set at defaults of jump forward 10 minutes and I don't remember what jump back is.  I just want to use it.  I don't want to dink with every little setting.

Left and right should default to skip backwards 5 seconds and  forward 30 secs, respectively.  Much easier than FF/REW, IMHO.

Except that that requires repeated keypresses on remotes where auto-repeat doesn't work (like mine). And if your ad break isn't a multiple of 30 seconds then you end up missing bits of the program.

Mark