[mythtv-users] Auto-started Mythbackend = Remote Mythfrontend connection failure

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sun Nov 25 01:24:34 UTC 2012

On 16/11/2012 5:34 PM, Darethehair wrote:
> On 16/11/12 03:45 PM, Jonatan Lindblad wrote:
>> Do you actually need network-manager?  Is it possible for you to
>> configure your interface in /etc/network/interfaces and instead
>> depend on $network in your mythtv-backend init script?
>>
>> --
>> Jonatan
> Yes, that probably would be another option -- but as you say it still
> looks like adding a dependency into 'mythtv-backend' for networking
> (either '$network' or 'network-manager') for Debian users.  At that
> point, either having a delay (like I did), or hard-coded wireless
> network parms in '/etc/network/interfaces' would do the trick :)
>
> I remain puzzled, though, that other Debian users have not encountered
> the same challenge (?).

As others have stated, I think that most of us find that Debian's
network manager is just too much overhead on a box plugged into the
wall.  I think that, not to overly generalize, I tend to believe that
when Debian pushed the network manager on us, we just removed it.

I'm also running a custom start-up script which has always depended on
eth0 being there before myth-backend started.