[mythtv-users] Setting up a new backend from scratch

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 13:27:04 UTC 2012

On 11/21/2012 5:52 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 21/11/12 04:12, Harry%20Devine wrote:
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Cicimov"
>> <icicimov at gmail.com> To:
>> "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org> Sent: Tuesday,
>> November
>> 20, 2012 3:13:26 AM Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Setting up a new
>> backend from
>> scratch
>> On 20/11/2012 6:21 PM, "Nick Rout" < nick.rout at gmail.com > wrote:

> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'localhost' identified
> by 'mythconverg';
> mysql> flush privileges;
> mysql> quit

> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.106'
> identified by 'mythconverg';
> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'IP_frontend_1'
> identified by 'mythconverg';
> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'IP_frontend_2'
> identified by 'mythconverg'
> mysql> flush privileges;
> mysql> quit

>>> I really wish people wouldn't advise to go outside the package
>>> management
>>> and configuration of the particular distro.
>>>
>>> Nick, I agree but since he already tried the preferred way twice and it
>>> didnt work for him maybe this one will.
>>
>> Sorry, but I've tried everything that you guys have suggested, and I
>> still
>> can't connect. When I try to log in from the command line using
>> "mysql -u
>> mythtv -p mythconverg", I get the "access denied for user
>> 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.106' error.
>>
> What password were you using in your tests? If you followed the above
> instructions *exactly* then the password you have set would be
> 'mythconverg'.
> (Without the quotes of course.)

OK, that worked.  I did look at the mysql.txt files that I found and
changed the passwords to mythconverg and was able to connect.  I can't
run mythtv-setup until I get home (I was SSH'd into my box from work).
How did the password get set to 'mythconverg' by doing those steps?  I
had used Nick's suggestion of doing "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
mythtv-common" and set a password there, so why wasn't that password
being used?  Does that reconfigure NOT set the mythtv password into the
database?

Thanks,
Harry